Sunday, December 21, 2014

Where to start...

It has been a fun December with more fun to come.  I had to review the photo gallery in my phone so that I can remember the things I want to include in my posts for the month.

First, we have an amazing "Hawaiian Christmas Party" with shredded pork, pineapple, and rice for dinner with our ward.  We had a very nice musical program with the nativity.  The highlight of the evening was when the MC announced that the children needed to get their coats on and head out to the field by the Stake Center because our special visitor was arriving.  The MC had already announced that Santa had had a problem with his sleigh and got stuck in Hawaii but had found some alternate transportation.  As soon as I stepped outside, I could hear the sounds of a helicopter--yep, that is right, Santa arrived to the Walnut Grove Ward in a HELICOPTER!  How cool is that!  The helicopter flew over a couple of times and then landed in the baseball field and headed out of the cockpit to the cheers and singing of the crowd.  Even people in the neighborhood around the Church were on their decks watching the arrival.  I didn't know I would want a picture of Santa's arrival so no pictures, but just imagine the excitement of the kids.  Ward members said their kids were telling everyone about the helicopter.

(Less you think our ward has more ward budget than your ward--a ward member had a connection who arranged the arrival.)

That was the beginning of our Christmas celebrations for the year.  The following Tuesday Jena had a party with 11 other girls from her Special Olympics team, there were programs and assemblies at school, activities at Church.  Having only one person still in school it wasn't as crazy as when all five were home.  With Special Olympics Bowling with Gary and Uncle Allan on Mondays, YW on Wednesday, working at the bowling alley on Thursday, and theatre class on Friday, Jena has a fairly busy typical life of a senior.  On top of that, she has also had play practices at school for their upcoming musical in January "Spelling Bee".  Often she was going straight from play practice to her next activity.

We did get our Christmas tree and other decorations put up prior to our adult Christmas party:


I love this picture of Jena.

One highlight for her was her Christmas program of her theatre class.  She is in a class called "Friend to Friend" and includes people with disabilities from age 15 and older.  She has enjoyed this class although it is very different from her other theatre experiences.  The teacher is awesome and loves what she does.  They performed their Christmas concert on December 13 at the Centerpoint Theatre "BIG" stage.  Jena was thrilled.  I have to say that I was teary most of the performance.  I wish you could have all been there.  Here is an sample of what you missed.

Performing "Santa Baby"

"When You Wish Upon a Star"
Jena was the first one out on the stage during this number.


One of the group numbers
 They sang about 10 numbers along with dancing.  It was awesome.  Near the end they showed a slide show of the kids with a parent (the one who picked them up one day).  When the lights came back up, each performer was holding a single red rose.  Then they asked a parent to come up and get their rose because they were grateful for the support of their parents.  As I walked to the stage in front of Jena I just started crying seeing the other parents getting their roses and hugging their child.  Jena handed me the rose and told me thank you and I love you.  You got to love that girl.

Then they ended their program and their teachers announced that there was going to be a special visitor.  I don't know about you but Special visitor in December usually means "Santa Claus".  Look who came on stage with them:

Olaf--a star from the Disney movie "Frozen". 
Olaf was much more exciting than Santa.  They were so excited.  They had a short dance party with him and all got to talk and hug him if they wanted.  Unfortunately we were on the wrong side of the stage so didn't get a good picture of Jena hugging Olaf.  It was so fun to watch them dance.
Cast party:  Jena, Kaitlyn and Emily
Kaitlyn came to watch them perform.
Jena, Gary and Grandma Hall headed off to lunch and I headed down to visit Ben who was still in the hospital in Salt Lake.  Then we all met up at home and finished our plans for our Hall Almost Annual Adult Christmas Party--Year 24 we believe.  We loved it and enjoyed having new and old friends join us for this annual event.  We played some games including the Newlywed Christmas Game, Christmas Scene Competition (think paper plate on your head trying to draw a scene being described to you), and "Two truths and a Lie" (where people had to tell two things that they really would want for Christmas this year if money wasn't an object and one that they wouldn't want.  Then we tried to guess which was the lie.  My lie was going with Gary to a Dallas Cowboy game.  I personally would be happy to go to a Cowboy game but Gary doesn't like the Cowboys so it wouldn't be fun to take him with me.)  And of course we did a white elephant gift exchange and for the first time ever the same person who brought the lizard this year also took it home again--the first repeat!

We are already trying to figure out something unique to do for our 25th anniversary year of our party next year--maybe a reunion with people from Texas and Hong Kong coming!  Start planning now to join us :)

In between all of this partying, I finished up my final papers for my first semester of graduate school.  I have loved school so far even with being sick and I look forward to my next semester.  However it is nice to have a break to get ready for Christmas and trying to do some spring cleaning while I have extra time.

I also still have the great opportunity to watch sweet Scarlett on Wednesdays when Chantel and Scott are working.  She is really working on sitting up and one Wednesday that is about all she wanted to do.  She loves this ball even though it rolls away and she can't get it in her mouth.  Being a grandma is pretty great.

Learning to sit up
I updated my pictures on the refrigerator with some newer pictures of Niki and Scarlett.  I love seeing their smiling faces every day even when I can't see them in person.  And now it also includes updated ultrasound pictures and baby bump pictures of Jessica.

 
The partying continued through this past week and Jena had a birthday party as well to attend.  I was excited for Friday to finally arrive as we were gathering for a family dinner for the gender reveal party for Jessica.  That deserves its very own post!!!

1 comment:

The Neerings Family said...

What's the worst part about being months behind on your blog? You don't check in and see what everyone else is posting on their blogs! Finally caught up on mine and reading yours. I love all your posts and pictures. It makes me feel connected to family, even when we are far away. Love you!