Sunday, March 24, 2013

Emergency Prepardness Coordinator

I know that I have mentioned that I have this calling in our ward and also in our city (as in Syracuse the city uses the Church's ward and stake boundaries to organize the city for emergencies.)  Now this is not something that I know alot about or am very organized in.  This surprises some people because I am know to be an organized person but that is only in some things, mainly I can plan a party!  Anyway here is my CERT stuff which shows that I am officially a trained CERT person in Syracuse City.


As part of my responsibilities I had to help the Ward council develop a neighborhood emergency response plan.  We finished that at the end of February so the next step was to share that information with our neighborhood.  That sounded like a good enough reason to have a party so on March 15, we had the Walnut Grove Family Emergency Preparedness Fair.  It was for the family and it was a fair.
Information from the state for Earthquake prep.

Photo corner for family pictures, although mostly it was kids and their friends posing.


Before it started
Tail end of our parade by the Cub Scouts
They had made floats and posters related
to emergency preparation

We gave everyone who came a copy of the neighborhood plan (since then I have continued to pass them out to the neighborhood.  I have about 1/4 left to do.)  We had booths about different topics including water, 72 hour kits, first aid, home safety, gardening, and then we had mini mini classes on fire, earthquakes, and 3 month supply of food.  In between all of that we had simple carnival games that the kids could play while the parents learned and talked. We had about 160 people there from about 42 families in our neighborhood.  And it was fun.  At the last minute one of my friends suggested that we demonstrate a couple of different hand wheat grinders.  That turned out to be one of the favorite activities for the kids.  They loved grinding the wheat.  We could have charged them tickets to do that.  There was a long line to try it.

One of my personal goals is to get our neighborhood stocked with water.  Life is just not fun without enough water to go around and we do live in a desert.  We showed a 250 gal. tank and a group got together and we ordered several for families within our neighborhood.  They arrive tomorrow.  So at least some families will have more water than before.  Now if we just get them filled before a disaster strikes.............

Now all of you need to make sure you have enough water...
1 gal per day per person in your family for at least 14 days.
If you have a baby or small children you will want more.
That is a very small amount of water compared to most daily lives in America.
So get some water stored!!!


No comments: