Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Back yards....

Found in a quote book:

Front yards are boring.
Backyards tell stories.
--"Backyards", Popcorn,James Stevensen, 1998

Some day I plan to post that in our back yard. I am not sure what our back yard tells about us (mostly that we are trying to figure out ways to have less grass to mow in the back yard) but we have made some headway in the long list of projects. Our deck is done and we finally had the yard organized enough for our first event---the outdoorman activity for the Webelos--

Gary starting things off with instructions for the Scouts--I think they had all 11 boys today.
It was around 90 degrees today but here they are having fun playing in the fires. Our large sandbox is great for Cub Scout fires.
Roasting hot dogs in the middle of the sand area where we put up our swim pool. Due to our deck construction and other projects in the yeard, it hasn't been put up yet but we are hoping to work on that in the next couple of days.

Here are some of the projects/items around the back yard:

The reading/visiting corner under the Umbrella tree
My Christmas present--A BYU firepit. Our new patio was designed to have a place just for it.
Rain chain and the rock garden underneath it. You should all come to listen to the rain as it falls through the copper funnels. We have tried it out with the hose, but last Sunday when rain woke me up about mid-night, I went out to watch and listen to it. It worked great.

Gary is busy in the background adjusting the umbrella over the picnic table. We finally retired our old picnic table after about 18 years and a move from Texas and bought a traditional 6' table.

Hope you enjoyed the visit to our backyard.....you'all come back, you hear!











2 comments:

Robynn said...

I LOVE your backyard. You are a woman of vision and I LOVE that about you. What a fun place and I can't wait to come in person next time. Sure love you, Rob

Valerie Ipson said...

I love it, especially the chairs under the umbrella tree. I don't know if a rain chain in Arizona would get much use.