Sunday, August 28, 2011

Aunt Lois

On August 10, 2011, my Aunt Lois passed away quietly sitting next to her husband at a funeral of a close family friend. She was 82 years old. She was the last of my mom's nuclear family. She left behind her husband, Uncle Grant and their ten children, their spouses, 33 grandchildren, and 22 great-grand children (give or take a few). Most were present for her funeral which took place on August 17th in Hillsboro, Oregon.

I was able to join my sister Valerie and my brother Rick in Portland to attend the funeral. I wrote about it at length on our extended family blog, but I didn't want to miss recording it here as well.

After dropping off my nephew at my dad's, I drove back to Syracuse in time to have Gary drive me back to the airport (the only way we could figure out how to do it on that busy Tuesday between our camping trip and the trip to Oregon).

It was amazing to be with my cousins again after so many years, to remember my aunt and our extended family and the things we did together, and to be in Oregon which holds so many great childhood memories. To me, Oregon is that magical place where grandparents and cousins live.

Mt. Hood
Mt. St. Helen








In addition to things related to the funeral and visiting cousins, Rick, Valerie, and I went to the Portland Temple for a session on Thursday morning. That was a special treat and really the best place to go after attending a funeral. It served as a physical remeinder that families really are eternal in nature.






It is odd how much I miss my Aunt even though we only had contact by Christmas letters and occasional phone calls over the years. She was the one person who knew my mom in that special sister way and when I was with her or talk to her on the phone, I felt my mom in her manner and ways. They shared many similarities as sisters often do. I am happy for my Grandma Owen though. I am not sure how things are in the spirit world but I am sure there was a moment that she and my Grandpa got to spend with all four of their children together which never had happened on earth since one of their sons died before my mom was even born. Joy there, some sadness here...that is what life and forever are made of.

No comments: