Sunday, October 3, 2010

September 25th..

Some days are nuts...but filled with great things nonetheless.  That was true about September 25, 2010.  Jena woke up at her regular time and got dressed for swimming practice which usually is at 7:45 on Saturday.  However today, we had the area basketball tournament held in Clearfield.  This is my first year as an official "Special Olympics coach for basketball" although I have helped for the past couple of years.  I recently completed my training to be certified.  I help in the skills area where players are assessed in passing, dribbling and shooting.  This year, our team also got to play a couple of games for the first time.  Jena enjoys basketball and especially being with her friends.


I had to leave early so Gary finished my coaching assignment for me as Ben and I had been invited to a very special event in Salt Lake.  One of his teachers at the STAR program which is where he completed his last semester of schooling to graduate was being baptized.  Anne had been a very important person to Ben and to us as we adjusted to his illness and tried to help him complete school.  As part of their relationship there were opportunities where religion came up in the discussion.  She would often comment to me that she didn't understand why it happens so often with Ben and with me that she felt like talking about more personal things.  There were times that the Spirit was so strong when we were together.  I didn't imagine that two years later we would have this special experience to see her join the Church.  It was awesome.  She told us as she took the missionary lessons that she would sometimes tell them, "Oh, I heard this from Ben a couple of years ago."  Even during his trials, he was an influence for good for someone else.

Then it was the usual highlight Saturday night with the General Relief Society Conference from Salt Lake.  Our stake RS sisters joined for a pasta dinner and then watched the broadcast together.  Pres. Monson was in "rare" form, posing for the camera and making jokes.  He warned us about the importance of not judging each other and showing true charity to all, especially to other sisters.

A long day with nothing of the regular Saturday things done, but a great one any way.  Jena's first basketball game, a baptism, and a prophet..............what more important way is there to spend a Saturday.

No comments: