Sunday, April 18, 2021

Easter Sunday + General Conference= Priceless

Easter Sunday---the part of it tied up in Easter dinners, hunts, and baskets is being delayed at our house because Scott and Chantel and kids will be in town so we are gathering with them and Jessica's family for Easter dinner/Easter fun on April 19th.  Because of that, I haven't given much thought to those types of things----

We did get this delivered to our door by two little children that I do not know:

So we had a visit by the Easter bunny, nonetheless.....and of course, there is some Easter candy to snack on during the upcoming last session of General Conference.

What we, what I have done instead--has been so much better and as a result, my heart and my mind have been flooded by the sweet confirmations once again-- "He is truly risen!" and we will also live again among all those we love and have lost for a short time.

Preparation started earlier than usual.  For our mission conference on March 18, Elder Daniel Rona, who is a missionary in our zone and also a noted tour guide and researcher in Israel, gave a beautiful presentation about the last week of Christ's life along with understandings of the Passover and the symbolic nature of the things that the Jews did.  Elder Rona is Jewish by birth, his grandparents were killed in the Death Camps by the Nazis.  As a young boy, he and his dad left Israel and came to America and there he and his father joined the Church.  As a young elder, he served his mission to Germany.  He married his lovely wife, Marilyn, and they returned to Israel and raised their family there while he built his travel agency.  He is a bright and gifted man and we were lucky to be taught by him.  He has YouTube videos which can be found at Israel Revealed or by searching his name.

As a mission, we were invited to attend a private showing of the movie "Lamb of God" which we did with about 100 missionaries in the Kaysville Theatre.  It is a concert film and it is amazing.  I suggest anyone who is interested in Christ or who love Him, watch it.  The music is great and the messages meaningful.  I was struck by the humanness of the Apostles and their great love for the Master.  I can do that--be human and have great love for our Master.

I discovered that on the Gospel App there was an Easter playlist which included several pieces from the Messiah which was written for Easter.  This week, I listened to those songs whenever I was in the car alone.  I have never created a playlist for myself nor used the Bluetooth in my car to play something, but I was grateful for that opportunity this week as I prepared for General Conference and Easter.

For my personal study, I read the accounts of the last days in Christ's life.  I also watched some other YouTube tributes to Christ and about His Atonement.  My Facebook was filled with other videos and quotes as well which helped remind me of the greatest of the sacrifice in my behalf--and in yours.  I re-watched the presentation by Elder Rona last night.

And then conference-- starting with the three sessions yesterday, the one this morning, and waiting in anticipation for the final session-- As I posted on Facebook--

"My summary of the first day of General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:
"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."
Although that scripture was not quoted today, that is what was done....the thread through the talks in all three sessions.
Can't wait for tomorrow...Easter Sunday and Conference...a perfect combination."
Photo of the Garden Tomb taken by friend, 
Eileen Bradford-shared with her permission

Now, I am embarrassed to admit that when I was younger, I didn't like it when Easter fell on Conference Weekend because it seemed like all of the talks were about the Savior (or related--when it fell on April 6 and things seemed focused on the Restoration)  as opposed to an array of topics.  Somewhere along the line (thankfully) I have matured.  Today was Easter and as "there is no other name than His" that can return us to God, let us praise Him and Honor Him.  The modern day Apostles and Prophets of God and the Sister leadership should be speaking of Him and showing us the way to draw close unto Him and His Father and to become more like him in thought, word, or action.  There is no other way.

So, "thanks be to God for the matchless gift of His Son."

Happy Easter!  He is Risen!


No comments: