Sunday, August 11, 2013

And summer vacation is almost over.....

This has been a fast summer.  It is so hard to believe that school starts in two weeks and I know some people are already heading back this week.  It has been a good summer and we have had some nice trips to AZ for Kristen's wedding, a trip to St. George and one to Logan.  In between I have had all of the busyness of UDSF and a huge learning curve on foundations, non-profits and web designs.  It is crazy and not what I had been planning to do.  However I do like that about life---things are changing, chances to learn and do new things, serving people--that is some of the good stuff about life.

I already listed the things for the week at the end of the last post.  I did all of those things and survived.  I can't believe I did a TV interview for KBYU....some day some way you might see me talking about the Utah Down Syndrome Foundation (Actually I think I hope that no one sees it.  The direction of the questions was different than I thought and they asked me to talk about Jena some way during the interview--just seconds before the interview started. Oh, well.) We did miss the Wave Court reunion as I didn't feel well yesterday.

The Utah Institute of Special Education Law was intense.  I could not believe the complexity and processes involved in special education law.  It is nuts!  It made me so appreciate the teachers who handle that stuff for Jena's very thick IEP folder.

I was able to go to the temple with a good friend from Hong Kong, Sandy Lai.  We went to the Mt. Timpanogas Temple.  I had never been there before but it is similar in design to the Bountiful Temple although the furnishings and colors are, of course, different.  Big news at the moment is that there is a new temple film as part of the temple service.  No changes in words or anything--just redone and updated I guess you can say.  My sister Valerie described it as "intense".  I thought that was a funny word to use until I saw it.  Intense is a good word.  I will be interested in hearing from my other friends and family as they see it for the first time.

Jena had her last tutor session with Holly who has been her tutor the past two summers.  She has been awesome and we will miss her.  She is a student in special education at Utah State.  She is getting married on Saturday so we will see her at the reception in Bountiful.  I forgot to take a picture for Jena's journal so we will have to get one on Saturday.

Today the Sunday School lesson was entitled "Let the Prisoners Free".  It was about baptisms for the dead and temple work for the dead in general.  I had this sweet confirmation of the truthfulness of this concept.  In many ways the temple and all it represents is really the crowning piece of God's Church.  God would not have create covenants and ordinances which are required for men and not made a way possible for ALL men (and women and children) to partake in those ordinances.  It is logical and true (just in case you were wondering!)

No comments: