Sunday, May 16, 2010

Award Night for Jena

Again apologies to my other children who did not get blog recognition for their achievements.  I will remind them however that I did send out a fairly regular e-mail to family and friends where I did highlight their achievements as they occurred, just now in quite the same format as a blog.

Jena received an award along with lots of other students for having a 3.5 or higher for each term of this year.  This caused a bit of problem for me beforehand because I wasn't sure how other students might react to this.  Jena has gotten a 3.5 or higher each term but she does have modifications and accommodations that help her in her school work.  She does want to learn and she works hard in many of her classes, but still there are differences in expectations, so I worried about it.  I talked to Gary, to the school counselor, to her teacher, and to some friends (Gary thought I could use some uninvolved feedback) and they all said that Jena should be honored like other students for her accomplishment.  So I decided to let her go to the awards night to receive her award.

And it was awesome........Jena was thrilled to see her name in the program and to walk up and get the award with other 7th grade students.  They were not to clap when the names were called since there was so many but when Jena's name was read, several students cheered for her and lots of people clapped.  She got a big smile as she walked across the front.  She said later that she "was touched" by their response.  That made us laugh.

Gary and I weren't actually there since Gary's sister had a medical emergency right as we were getting ready to leave, but Jessica was there to go with us so she reported the events for us.  Way to go, Jena.

No comments: