Sunday, December 4, 2022

A Rock

Actually a rock sitting on the side of the hill below the Sermon on the Mount Church.

As I mentioned, we had some time listening to the music and pondering on the hillside.  As you can see, it was an area with boulders and trees.  I was sitting on the little chair in a flat area below where most of our group was sitting--right next to some big stones.
While sitting there, I had some "ponderings."  Is that even a word?

Elder Rona had told me once while we were deciding to come on a trip to Israel that "even the rocks testify of Christ."  As I mentioned, I didn't feel many earth shaking moments of "enlightment" on this trip.  I loved seeing these places and learning (and forgetting) so many interesting things, but I didn't feel that my testimony was stronger because of being in Israel.

So, I had a conversation with this rock--how long had he been on this hill?  Was he here when Christ walked the nearby hills?  Did a weary follower sit on him to listen to Jesus talking?  Did he witness a miracle from his spot on the hill?
In probably good news to all of you, the rock did not talk back to me.  However, I was reminded of my belief that all nature testifies that there is a God and that the earth and all things in it were created by Him through Jesus Christ and they are "Good."  This rock and the whole earth are strictly obedient to God and remained organized as directed by eternal laws of science which are perfect and unchanging (unlike man's science which changes as more truth is discovered.)  We are so blessed to live in this beautiful world with its varied landscapes.  And we have been blessed to see a portion of it including this rock on a hill west of the Sea of Galilee.  For that moment and all of the others I have experienced--I am so grateful!

Good job, Rock!  Hold steady for the next 1000 years.  There will be a lot to see!

No comments: