Monday, November 30, 2009

Not Christmas yet!!!

First I want to make it clear that I love Christmas.  It is a great time of year with beautiful lights, music, stories, food, parties, the list goes on...........it is wonderful.  However, I like November and Thanksgiving time as well and I don't like to jump so quickly from one to another.  Up and down our neighborhood, in and out of homes and stores, Christmas is coming without even a backward glance.  It is November still, so one more look at what I am thankful for.

1.  Like Jessica, I am thankful for jobs...that my children have them and that Gary has a job that has supported us as a family for all of these years.  I am grateful that since 1987, he has worked for the same company through changes, reorganizations, and buyouts.  It might not last another year, who knows...but I am so grateful for that  (and I think he likes it most days!  That is a blessing, too.)

2.  Like Scott, I am glad that Jena is doing better even though she still is dealing with the healing process.  I am grateful for health care that gives us options and for priesthood power and blessings that smooth the way.

3.  I am grateful for a spouse who supports me in my passions and children who love me and say I am a good cook (even though we know that isn't true).  It was such a great holiday as they came and went through the weekend to enjoy game playing and conversation  (and left over food, of course),

4.  I am happy that BYU won even though it was not a good game, so I am also glad we didn't have tickets and "enjoyed" it with Gary's mom and take-out Chinese food (isn't there something just fun about take-out Chinese in those containers they show on TV all of the time!)

5.  I am grateful for extended family and friends who watch out for us and have been there through the years.   I am grateful for people who have touched my life in any way, even if for just a moment.

6.  I am grateful for the earth--the beauty, the seasons, flowers, all of it.

Most of all, I am grateful for my testimony of who I am as a daughter of a personal and loving Heavenly Father, that there is a plan for us on this earth and a purpose and meaning for our life experiences.  I am thankful for  a Savior, Jesus Christ, who was provided as part of that plan so that we can repent and change throughout our lives.  I am grateful for living prophets to guide us.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I am thankful that Our Heavenly Father speaks to us through all of the scriptures but that inspiration also comes as a still small voice to lead and guide me individually. 

Take one more look at Thanksgiving before the calendar changes.  Happy November.

2 comments:

Robynn said...

I so agree Judy Hall. I love November and that blessed holiday of Thanksgiving. It would seem that the world is trying to skip right over it, at least the retail world. We even had stores open on Thanksgiving with the bargains beginning. Not at the Thiot's. I wanted to have a Thanksgiving Weekender all the way. As I changed my calendar this morning to December I said, Okay, now we can have the Christmas Season. One at a time is best for me too. I sure count you as one of my great blessings. A good friend who has been a shining example to me for many years. Love, Rob

The Neerings Family said...

Ugh...it's true. People are going so crazy over Halloween decorations...then it's like straight to Christmas. I also love everything about the Christmas holiday, but it's so annoying because all of that "stuff" isn't what it's all about. I have no problem with Christmas music on the radio and putting up the decorations, that is AFTER THANKSGIVING! This year it seemed people were putting this stuff up and the music started at least a week before. Crazy! Paul has a rule at our house anyway...no Christmas anything until the first weekend in December. I complained at first, now I kind of like it.